Monday, March 10, 2014

Galbi Jjim (Short Ribs)

I may have mentioned this before but I've been watching this drama that is called Let's Eat. It literally has like a 5-minute segment in every episode where they just eat! Like as in close-up after close-up of them stuffing food in their faces and purposely smacking their lips and such. That doesn't paint a pretty picture but they seriously make me soooo hungry every time they do that. And sometimes I will crave what they were eating for days.
I don't remember if they ate galbi jjim or not but I've been craving it all week....weird because it's not something I've ever craved before. And I'm not pregnant.

My Rating: 8/10
Why: Taste-wise it is a 10. It's really yummy, to the point that I'm amazed it came out of my kitchen. But short ribs are very fatty and I find the fat to be not-so-appetizing...and also, I over-mixed it in the last part of the recipe, so my potatoes created a bit of a sludge which also was not so appetizing...haha. So just don't do what I did.




Galbi Jjim
Serves 4
Adapted from the amazing Maangchi

  • 1.5-2 lbs short ribs
  • 6-7 dried shiitake mushrooms
  • about 1 c baby carrots
  • 1 medium-sized potato, chopped into 1-inch chunks
  • 1/2 onion, sliced
  • 2 c water
  • 1 Tbsp white wine or rice wine
  • 4 Tbsp soy sauce
  • 8 cloves minced garlic
  • 1 Tbsp brown sugar
  • 2 Tbsp honey 
  • 1 Tbsp sesame oil
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • green onions for garnish (opt.)
  • sesame seeds for garnish (opt.)


Directions:

Place dried mushrooms into a small bowl and soak them in water. In a separate bowl, submerge your ribs in water as well and let them soak for about 30 minutes, rinsing them a few times.

While they are soaking, prep your marinade: mix together the water, wine, soy sauce, minced garlic, brown sugar and onions. Set aside.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Drain the ribs and add them to the boiling water. Boil for about 5-10 minutes and drain. Rinse off the ribs in cold water, clean your pot, and add the ribs to the pot again.

This time cover the ribs in the marinade and bring it to a boil on high. Lower the heat to medium and let it continue to boil for 20 minutes.

Chop your mushrooms into quarters and add all of the veggies into the pot at once. Cover and let the mixture simmer on low for 30-40 minutes until the meat is tender.

Uncover and add the honey, sesame oil and black pepper. Bring the heat to high and cook just until the liquid is mostly evaporated, stirring gently when needed.

Serve over rice and garnish with green onions and sesame seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

© Korean Mutt, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena