Monday, November 19, 2012

Homemade Kimchi



My mom is a supermom.
There is only one thing she didn't do while I was growing up: make kimchi.
I know she knows how because she grew up on a farm in Korea and learned to make meals the minute she could walk. But unfortunately I'm not at home and can't ask her to show me, so I tried it on my own using a combo of recipes from my tried and true Korean recipe source: Aeri's Kitchen

I used this recipe mainly (altered for one cabbage): Easy Napa Cabbage Kimchi
But I used this sauce recipe: Napa Cabbage Kimchi

Big recommend. I'd write out the recipe with all of my alterations but I'm too lazy today. One of those days I have too much to do and I end up procrastinating by writing on the blog instead...

But anyways here is another great kimchi recipe: 2 1/4 Korean Blog
This girl was one of my Korean TA's way back in the day. She's one of those Asians who excel at everything...aced the MCATs, can answer any question you throw at her...y'know. One of those. That's why I trust her kimchi recipe. This is the recipe I will be making next time.

Kimchi-Making Tips:
  • Use ALL of the salt the recipe calls for (be GENEROUS)
  • This may change by brands, but the Korean red pepper powder I had was SUPER spicy. My Mom generally uses these big Walmart/Costco bottles of Cayenne pepper instead because it is more mild. I'm gonna do the same next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

© Korean Mutt, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena