Thursday, May 30, 2013

Best Meaty Chili. Ever.

Been living in Texas for a year but I just recently discovered Texas chili. Apparently Texas chili has no beans. Which is strange to me because chili = beans in my mind. BUT it was also intriguing because the thing my hubby just-so-happens to hate about chili is the beans. And being a man, he is also a carnivore.
So I found this recipe on bon appetit, changed it a bunch to suit me, and it came out amazing. And I am no meat-eater.
Although I will say I would rather call it a beef stew rather than a chili...
But whatever you wanna call it, just try it. It's good.



Meat Chili
Serves 4

  • 3oz (about 3 slices) bacon, diced
  • 2c onions, diced
  • 3lb. stew meat
  • coarse kosher salt
  • pepper
  • 1T jalapeno juice (from jar of jalapenos) -optional
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1T chili powder
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp oregano
  • 3/4 tsp coarse kosher salt
  • 10-oz can fire-raosted diced tomatoes with green chiles
  • 6oz beef broth
  • 4-oz can diced roasted green chiles
  • 1 29-oz can corn (you can do the smaller cans, I just like corn a lot...)
  • cheese for topping


Directions:

**This tastes better if you make it a day beforehand, though it tastes great the day of too.**

Preheat oven to 350F.

Use a large oven-proof pot that you can alternate between the oven and stove top. (I use my Martha Stewart Dutch Oven.) In the pot, saute your bacon until it begins to brown. Add onions and reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook about 5 minutes or until tender. While waiting for that, sprinkle all of your meat with salt and pepper. Add meat to the pot, stir to combine, and set aside.

In a small bowl, whisk together 1/2c water, jalapeno juice, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano and salt. Pour over the meat in the pot, then also add in the diced tomatoes, beef broth, green chiles and corn. Stir together and bring to a simmer on the stove.

Cover and place the pot in the oven. Bake 1.5-2 hours. Then uncover and bake until meat is tender, about an hour. Stir a few times so that the top meat doesn't dry out.
Let chili cool at room temperature for at least 30 minutes. Discard any fat that forms on the surface. Place in fridge to chill only partially covered. When you're ready to eat, re-warm on low heat. Top with cheese.

I like it over rice, but whatever floats your boat :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

© Korean Mutt, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena