Friday, May 31, 2013

Vanilla Cheesecake Macarons

So I made these mostly for fun. But I thought that if they turned out well enough I would take them to a baby shower tomorrow. I'm supposed to make cookies for it anyways.

Something I realized: I think I really need a silpat for macarons. Every time I make them I think I can get away with perfect macarons just using parchment paper but the moisture makes the paper wrinkly which messes with the shape of my macarons. So if you want perfect circles, get a silpat. That's what I'm gonna do.




Vanilla Cheesecake Macarons
Makes about 24

  • 120g egg whites
  • 60g granulated sugar
  • 100g almond flour (powder)
  • 180g powdered sugar
  • pinch cream of tarter
  • pinch salt
  • 1/2tsp vanilla extract
Filling:
  • 4oz cream cheese, softened
  • 4oz butter, softened
  • 1-1/2c powdered sugar
  • 1tsp vanilla extract

Directions:

Prepare 2 large cookie sheets with parchment paper (or a silpat).
Beat the egg whites until they start to foam. Add the granulated sugar and beat, then add the vanilla and continue beating until soft peaks form. (It will be almost cool-whip looking.)

In a separate bowl, sift together the almond flour, powdered sugar, cream of tarter and salt. Whisk to combine. Fold this into the egg mixture until the surface of the batter is shiny. (I counted and this usually takes me 50 strokes or less.)

Fit a pastry bag with a large round tip to pipe the batter. (I just use a large plastic ziploc bag and cut the corner to put in my tip.) Pipe the batter onto your baking sheets leaving at least 1-2 inches between each circle. Let these sit at room temperature for about an hour, or until you can touch the batter with your finger and it doesn't stick to you. Bake for 13 minutes, turning the pans halfway through.

Once done, immediately move the parchment paper onto a cooling rack. Let the cookies cool completely. If they are too sticky and won't come off of the parchment paper, it's because the bottom didn't bake fully and you might want to stick them in the oven for a few more minutes.

If you want a colored stripe like I did, just use gel food coloring and a clean brush. 

For the filling, beat together the cream cheese and butter. Add the sugar and combine. Then add the vanilla and mix until combined. Pipe onto the macarons to make sandwiches.


I actually traced circles on paper and placed it under my parchment paper to follow, then slid them out before baking :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

© Korean Mutt, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena