Monday, August 19, 2013

Good Old Kimchi Soup (Kimchi Jjigae)

You have no idea how precious kimchi is to me here. The closest Korean store is 3 hours away and even if I wanted to make my own I would still need Korean gochugaru (red pepper powder), which would elicit a trip to the store anyways...and SURE there is Mexican red pepper powder I can buy here, but it's not the same! It really isn't.

So last weekend hubby and I had to make the drive to the city but it wasn't for pleasure...hubby needed to go to the hospital. But we had time to eat at a Korean restaurant where they happened to sell kimchi! (The most overpriced kimchi I've ever seen in my life, but kimchi nevertheless.) I could only convince hubby to buy me the medium sized container so I held onto that kimchi for almost a week planning on how to utilize it best...haha!

Kimchi jjigae seemed too common a dish to use my precious kimchi on, but I realized I probably haven't had it for over a year...so I bit the bullet and threw 85% of my beloved kimchi into a soup. And so worth it. Best soup ever.

P.S. I used boneless short rib meat in my soup (delish!) but I've had friends use Spam or tuna, those are both yummy. 




 Kimchi Jjigae
(Adapted from HERE)

  • 1/2 lb boneless short ribs, sliced thinly
  • 4-5 c kimchi + kimchi sauce
  • 1T sugar
  • 1 tsp red pepper flakes (gochugaru)
  • 1T red pepper paste (gochujang)
  • 1/4c onions, sliced thinly
  • green onions (about 2T)
  • 1/2 pkg tofu, sliced
  • 1/2-1 tsp hondashi
  • sesame oil (optional)
  • water

Directions:

Place your kimchi and some of it's juice in a small pot. Add in the onion, red pepper paste, red pepper flakes, sugar, green onions, and short rib meat.

Pour water into the pot until everything is submerged. Mix together.

Heat on med-high with the lid on and let the mix boil for about 10 minutes. Then turn the heat down to medium and boil for another 15-20 minutes.

Taste and add more kimchi sauce (for spiciness & kimchi flavor) or hondashi (for seasoning) as needed. Then add the tofu and cook for another 5 minutes. 

Remove from heat and pour in a bit of sesame oil if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

© Korean Mutt, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena