Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Sugared Blackberry Cookies

I found an excuse to bake when I was cleaning out a closet of food for Mom. I swear I threw out an entire trash bag full of precious expired Korean food....sad day. But I also found a bag of shaved coconut. So I was thinking coconut cream cookies...but the hubby called while I was toasting it so they ended up burnt in the trash >.<
After rummaging through Mom's overflowing fridge, I came up with these. I think my baking addiction is satisfied for the next few days now.


Sugared Blackberry Cookies
Makes about 25

Ingredients:

1/2 c butter, softened
1/2 c sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 c flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
8 oz. blackberries (you will need about 25 as toppers and  appx. 10 for the frosting)

Frosting:

1 c butter
3-1/2 c sugar
1/4 c heavy cream
4-5 oz cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp salt

few drops red food coloring (opt.)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350F and prepare a pan with parchment paper.
Beat together sugar and butter. Add the vanilla and egg, beat. In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Add to the wet batter and mix until completely combined.
Use small spoon or tablespoon scoop to drop the cookie mix onto the pan. Bake for 6-10 minutes and then cool completely.

For the frosting, beat together the sugar, salt and butter. Add the cream cheese and vanilla first and then add heavy cream until it reaches your desired consistency. Pre-chop or use a spoon to smush about 10 blackberries into your frosting (make sure you have enough blackberries left over to top each cookie), mix well. If you want a darker raspberry color, add a bit of red food coloring (I actually started with a pink frosting I had in the freezer).
Spoon the frosting into a small ziploc bag and cut a corner of the bag about a centimeter wide. Pipe the frosting onto the cooled cookies.
Take your leftover blackberries, roll them in sugar, and garnish your cookies with them.
**This is the lazy way to "sugar" berries...if you want to do it the right way, brush the berries with egg white, sprinkle them with sugar, and leave them in a dry place for several hours.

Note: I didn't follow these recipes very well at all, but they were my inspirations: Taste of Home Soft Sugar Cookies & Sprinkles' Vanilla Frosting.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

© Korean Mutt, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena