Thursday, January 17, 2013

Mini Chocolate Tarts with Coconut

I've been wanting mini tart pans for months and we randomly found some at Marshall's the other day, so I was super excited ^.^ This was project #1 with my mini tart pans: chocolate tarts with coconut. They are a perfect basic chocolate tart. Next time I am going to add either a layer of toasted coconut on top or mix in some hazelnuts or pecans.


Mini Chocolate Tarts with Coconut

Tart Crust: (from a Mrs. Fields recipe book gifted to me)
  • 2 c flour
  • 1 c salted butter (cold)
  • 2 large egg yolks
  • 2-3 Tbsp ice cold water
Filling: (A Mark Bittman recipe HERE)
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1 c coconut milk
  • 6 oz chocolate (I used semi-sweet)
  • pinch of salt
Directions:

In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour and butter. If you have a pastry blender use that, or I just mushed it all together with my hands. Add the egg yolks and water. Mix together with a fork just until it comes together enough that you can make a ball with it. Form into a disk, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for about an hour.
Preheat oven to 400.
On a floured surface, (I used powdered sugar instead of flour) roll out the dough to 1/8-inch thick. Place your tart pans upside down on the dough and use a knife to cut about 1/4-inch around them. Grease your pans with cooking spray and stick your dough inside. Cut the excess off the top with a knife. Use a fork to poke holes in the bottom of the crusts, or use pie weights if you have them. Bake for 10-15 minutes until they get a bit golden brown. Let cool completely.

For the filling:
Place the egg yolks, coconut milk, chocolate and salt in a saucepan on medium-low heat. Stir the mixture continuously and make sure it doesn't come to a boil. Once the chocolate is melted, remove from heat. Pour into cooled crusts and refrigerate overnight. Garnish with coconut.

It looks like a sunflower :)

I used a biscuit cutter on my leftover dough and topped them with lemon curd and blackberries~ this would make an easy hors d'oeuvre

2 comments:

  1. Could I just milk instead of coconut milk?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think milk will set well. But heavy cream should work~~ :)

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.

© Korean Mutt, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena